Saturday, March 27, 2010

Why this blog?

The purpose of this blog is to help you discover some knowledge that I was able to acquire over the last year. It may not be knowledge that will necessarily help you depending on your situation, but it has helped me, personally and professionally. The products I bought to acquire the knowledge are expensive, though unlike when I started, one is being given away free, as you'll find in one of the links below. I believe in these products enough to try and sell them to you. The money I have spent on them has been more than returned so far, and not just with good feelings, but actual dollars . It has also helped me be a more effective decision maker in all realms of my life, including with my family.


I earn my money as a psychotherapist (LICSW) in the outpatient division of the Department of Psychiatry at Rhode Island Hospital in Providence. (You can reach me directly at 401-444-7052.) I am not a salaried employee so I truly depend on referrals to keep my practice going. In these hard economic times, people are losing their health insurance and generally more reluctant to spend money on anything, including psychotherapy copays. I had never had trouble getting enough referrals since I am part of a large hospital and they tended to just flow my way. My schedule was often too full. When I started to see gaps in my schedule, I grew concerned and knew I had to take action. I was nervous though. I knew I needed to reach out more to potential referral sources. It is one thing to have someone come to my office for help and use my so -called expertise, and another to begin to talk to other professionals and somehow get it across that it would be a great thing for them to start referring their clients and patients to me. I was going to have to learn to do 'prospecting' and 'cold calls'. I procrastinated for a good while.

I was lucky enough to stumble on a book in the business section at the bookstore called Start With No by Jim Camp. I read it and liked it. I visited his website and over time, purchased some of his products. They have not inspired any more courage in me than I ever had. They have not motivated me in any huge way. I am as excitable and wishy washy as ever in many respects. I have discovered something though. I have learned skills that allow me to make effective decisions and maintain emotional control as I try to drum up business for my psychotherapy practice. And much to my surprise, I have also learned to be more helpful to my therapy clients. A larger percentage of my clients are reporting progress that I measure using standardized scales than did prior to my employing this knowledge. So needless to say, I am excited by this , and I want to put it out there.


If you want to learn more, check out the links below or contact me. The first goes to the 'start with no' website. It says 'shopping cart' but don't be scared by that.

http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=1135341




The second should be a link to a free audio download of his book, the same one I read.


http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?Clk=3623283


You can call me at the number above or email me at wchase5@yahoo.com .








Peace


Wim Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment